Innovations News Network

Organized Sports at Innovations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Organized Sports at Innovations

Caption goes here.

Caption goes here.

Photographer

Caption goes here.

Photographer

Photographer

Caption goes here.

Nathan Hutton, Staff Writer

At Innovations High School, students must join the sports team of their home school if they want to play sports. Some students like this system, because it lets them play for the team they want to while still attending Innovations, but it does limit some students.

Kathy Butler, the Physical education and Health teacher at Innovations High, said, “They can only play at their home school, so sometimes the kids don’t like it because they would rather play at East, West or Highland.”

If you were in boundaries to go to East High school before you came to Innovations, and still are, then your only option would be to play for East.

Butler later said, “The kids love it if their home school is here, which they can get a bus to.”

To sign up for sports, students must go to Register My Athlete, state which school you are going to play for, then answer some questions, such as your address and age.

Some students are confused about whether or not they are eligible to play sports at other schools.

Butler said, “You have to have a 2.0 GPA, you have to at least be registered for at least 5 classes, core classes, so your math, your language art, etc.” Core classes do not include elective classes. Butler also said, “They can only play at their home school.”

Some students have issues with registering for sports, because they might work ahead, then not be registered for enough classes in a term, which confuses the system. The district will only see what students are registered for in all terms, but that does not take into account if they are working ahead. If students want to play official sports while attending Innovations, it is best if they are consistently working, because the system does not account for if you are ahead in credits.

The issue that some students face is that they will move houses so they can be closer to Innovations, but while doing so, they will move out of the boundaries of the school they wanted to play sports for.

Many students say they enjoy this system much more than the one used at other schools because it gives them much more freedom. Some also say they like it because they get the education they want from Innovations and the athletics from a school that focuses more on it.

Kenneth Grover, the principal of Innovations said, “It worked out great, I’ve had students who played for East, West or other schools, so it works fine.”

Some students like this system, because they can still go to the school they want for education, and attend another school for sports.

Jeremy Sanda, a freshman, said, “When I thought I was going to East High, I was worried because I didn’t think I would be able to get the education I needed. That was one of the biggest reasons I decided to come here instead, because I could still play sports at East.”

Students sometimes also like how they can interact with their friends at other schools.

Sanda added, “Another thing I love about the sports system, is it lets me socialize and stuff with other students from both schools.”